A rising star amongst beer enthusiasts, downtown Gravenhurst’s Sawdust City Brewing Company is the relative new kid on the block.
Named after this historic town’s lumber-focused past (it was called Sawdust City as its many waterfront wood mills were literally built on sawdust), this first-rate brewery only opened to the public in 2014 and has already taken the craft beer drinking community by storm.
Its award-winners include:
- Golden Beach – A distinctly American style wheat ale with juicy citrus hop flavours and hints of tropical fruit.
- Lone Pine IPA – Hoppy as a bunny and as piney as a Muskoka forest, this dockside favourite – balanced with a blend of four different malts – bursts across the palate with a citrusy tang.
- Skinny Dipping Stout – Super-chocolaty and dark, this delicious brew beer;
- Old Woody Alt – Named for its rich mahogany hues (the same rich red, in fact, as the classic wooden boats that still ply the waters of nearby Lake Muskoka), this lagered ale draws its inspiration from the classic beers of Germany’s Dusseldorf region.
- Gateway Kölsch – With a nod to the ales of Köln, Germany, this crisp aged beer with its hint of hops and mellow malt notes has become one of the breweries signature beers.
Be sure to visit Sawdust City’s Saloon, one of the most happening places in Muskoka. With 12 beers always on tap – including one-offs, seasonal brews, collaborations and guest brews – along with a good selection wines, spirits, ciders and single malt whiskies, it’s well worth spending a little time here (particularly on music night).
For further details, visit http://www.sawdustcitybrewing.com/